We all know the importance of working out our upper body – it’s what gets us the crowd’s attention, helps achieve that coveted V-shape, and makes us feel strong and powerful. But could you ever do an exercise without using your legs? Of course not!
For all the reasons your legs are important – they make up half of your body, they help you balance and stay upright, and they’re key in just about every movement you make – leg workout is crucial to a well-rounded workout routine.
Skipping Leg Day Means Disproportionate Muscle Gains!
Every gym has a few guys (and they are almost always guys) who spend hours upon hours working on their chest, arms, and shoulders while giving their legs the cold shoulder. And what’s the result? Usually, it’s a top-heavy body with unimpressive legs.
Not only does this look bad, but it can also lead to injuries down the line. Imbalances in the muscles often cause serious issues like lower back pain and knee problems, and skipping leg days is a surefire way to create those imbalances.
On the other hand, toned legs will help you achieve a more proportionate, athletic-looking physique. Just think of all those Instagram fitness models with impressive quads and glutes – they wouldn’t look nearly as good if their legs were scrawny!
Why Should You Never Skip Leg Day?
Now that we know how important leg day is, let’s talk about some more benefits you’ll enjoy when you make leg day a priority.
- Muscular legs are key to explosive movements like sprinting and jumping, so if you want to improve your athletic performance, strong legs are a must.
- If you enjoy activities like hiking, running, biking, and playing sports, you must have legs that can handle the impact and stress. And the only way to get there is by working out your legs regularly.
- Leg exercises help improve the function of your hip and knee joints, which is important as you age and start to experience joint pain. Strong muscles help take the pressure off your joints, making it easier to stay active as you age.
- Many leg exercises are compound movements, meaning they simultaneously work for multiple muscle groups. This means you can burn more calories in a shorter period, making leg day an important part of any weight loss journey.
- Even if you’re not an athlete or don’t care about how you look, strong legs are essential for everyday activities like walking, going up and down stairs, and even sitting down and standing up. So if you want to maintain your mobility and independence, be regular with your leg workouts!
There are a whole host of reasons why you should never skip leg day. If you want to build a strong lean body, find a routine covering all your bases, including a few killer leg workouts. For help getting started, contact our fitness training and nutrition coaches today. You’ll be glad you did when you see the results.